The use of the Ring Doorbell is rising day by day. More people across the countries are installing this to enhance their protection bars now. You can see who’s at your door whenever and wherever with a ring video doorbell.
If you also bought a Ring doorbell or already have one, you will have a hard time installing, connecting to the network, and charging it especially!
Charging your doorbell is really crucial if you anticipate a secure and seamless service. So, we are going to show you the steps of how to charge a ring doorbell now!
Table of Contents
How to check the Ring battery charge
To charge the ring doorbell, you need to know its battery percentage first. You can easily do that with the Ring app. So, read below to know how to check the Ring battery charge through the ring app-
- Open the Ring app
- Go to the Dashboard and click on the Three lines on the top left of the door.
- Click on devices
- Choose the specific doorbell you want to check
- Go to the power settings
- Scroll down to select battery status
- Finally, you can check the battery percentage
Therefore, the shortcut is – Dashboard Three lines > Devices > Click on Doorbell > Power settings > Battery status > Battery level
The charging process
The charging process is different on various models of Ring Video doorbells. The ring has a variety of models for its video doorbells. The system for models such as 1st Generation and 2nd Generation is slightly dissimilar from the models such as 2, 3, 3 Plus, and 4.
In the 1st Generation and 2nd Generation, the battery remains fixed so that you can charge it without removing the battery. But in the 2, 3, 3 Plus, and 4 versions, the battery is removable and you can only charge it after removing the battery from the mount.
For this reason, we have described the charging method for both types of models here. You can follow the steps of your doorbell model to charge the battery.
How to charge the Ring Video Doorbell 1st & 2nd generation-
1) Remove the screws: Get a screwdriver and remove the screws below the doorbell carefully to pull the faceplate.
2) Lift the doorbell: Lift the doorbell to release the mounting bracket.
3) Plugin the micro-USB port: Plugin the micro-USB port on the back of the doorbell that is connected to the charger.
4) Charge it fully: Wait until it’s charged fully. If you only see the green light on, it means the battery is charged.
5) Put back the screws: After charging the battery properly, you can now unplug the port and put back the faceplate to its original place. Don’t forget to tighten up the screws!
How to charge the Ring Video Doorbell 2, 3, 3+, and 4 –
1) Remove the screws: Remove the screws from below the doorbell with a screwdriver. Remove the screws one by one with the appropriate screwdriver and don’t be too harsh with it or else it might damage the faceplate.
2) Remove the battery from the mount: After unscrewing the faceplate, you have to remove the faceplate. You can do it by lifting the doorbell and moving it. After that, you can tap on the silver metal button that will release the battery from the joint. You can remove the battery carefully from the mount now.
3) Plugin a micro-USB charger: You have to plug in one end of the micro-USB charger to the back of the battery and another with a power source. Make sure that the micro-USB charger works well and that your power source is also secure unless you want to risk your battery’s life.
4) Wait until it’s fully charged: Wait for the light to turn solid green because it means that the charge is completed. Usually, it takes 6-8 hours to charge the ring battery completely. But do not overcharge under any circumstances. It can harm your battery and decrease its life. So, unplug your battery as soon as the charge is full.
5) Mount the battery when it’s charged: After the charging is completed, you have to mount the battery again on the ring doorbell. If you hear a click after putting the battery back in the mount, it means the battery is secure. After that, tighten up the faceplate with the security screws. Make sure you tighten each screw properly so that the faceplate doesn’t remain loose.
6) Wait for 30 seconds: After mounting the battery, the battery usually takes a short update to let the doorbell function know that it is charged. Wait for 30 seconds to let the battery finish its update. After that, press the reset button as it will notify the battery status of the Ring app.
How long does it take to charge a ring doorbell?
It takes approximately 6-8 hours to charge a ring doorbell fully. It mostly depends on the voltage of your power source or the quality of the charger. You can instantly know if the charge is full or not if you see the green light turned on.
How often do you need to charge ring doorbell?
The ring doorbell battery endures about 6-12 months. So, after every 6 months, you should check the battery status of your ring doorbell. If you see a low percentage, you will need to charge it.
Can you overcharge a Ring battery?
Overcharging any battery will never bring positive results for you. If you overcharge your Ring doorbell’s battery, it will lose battery life quickly. So, always plug it out when you see the green light is on and the battery is fully charged!
You should always check the battery status of your Ring doorbell and carefully charge it when the charge is low. A timed charge will ensure long time battery life and give you a solid service till the end. So, follow the above steps to properly charge your ring doorbell!
Related post: How to Connect Ring Doorbell to Wifi